Common questions about MSIG travel insurance* coverage in relation to COVID-19
Get the latest on COVID-19 and other important Government information here.
Remember to wash your hands with soap and water regularly and to stay safe and healthy.
- If I decide to cancel my overseas trip due to COVID-19, am I covered by my travel insurance?
Please note that there are three possible scenarios:
- If you choose to cancel your trip, without any signs or symptoms of illness, this would not be covered by your travel insurance.
- If you are diagnosed with, or display signs or symptoms of, serious sickness before you purchase our travel insurance, this would not be covered.
- However, if you are diagnosed with a serious sickness and are certified by a registered Medical Practitioner as unable to travel overseas after purchasing your travel insurance, you may make a claim under the Trip Cancellation section of your policy. Our claims team will assess your claim based on the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If Hongkongers are refused entry into a foreign country due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19, am I covered by my travel insurance?
This scenario is not normally covered by your travel insurance, however we have made special arrangements for this due to the exceptional coronavirus situation. If your trip is cancelled because you are unable to travel to Mainland China/Macau/Japan/South Korea or because your destination country has banned flights or immigration from Hong Kong travellers or the travel agent cancels the tour, as a result of the coronavirus outbreak; you can apply for a premium refund of your single trip travel insurance. We also suggest that you check with your travel agent, airline company or hotel in case they can provide you with options for re-scheduling or refunds of your other travel expenses.
Please send your enquiry or your request with your policy number, relevant supporting document, name and email address to email@example.com.
- If I rearrange my trip due to COVID-19, without being infected, am I covered by my Travel insurance?
This scenario is not covered by your travel insurance.
- If I’m not feeling well during my trip and am diagnosed with COVID-19, am I covered by my travel insurance?
If you are not feeling well during your trip and are diagnosed with COVID-19, please consult a local Registered Practitioner for diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible. Please keep all medical receipts and reports. You may submit a claim under the Medical Expenses section of your policy for any medical expenses you incur whilst overseas. Our claims team will assess your claim based on the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If I’m not feeling well after returning to Hong Kong and I have been diagnosed with COVID-19, am I covered by Travel insurance?
Your medical expenses incurred in Hong Kong are not covered by your Travel insurance unless they are necessary follow-up consultations resulting from medical treatment originally received overseas. If this is the case, you may submit a claim under the Medical Expenses section of your policy for your follow-up medical expenses and our claims team will assess it based on your policy terms and conditions.
- What can I do if I have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and need to be hospitalized overseas, but do not have enough cash for the admission deposit?
If it is confirmed by a registered Medical Practitioner that you need to be hospitalized under this scenario, and you need assistance with the admission deposit, please call our 24-hour Worldwide Travel Assistance hotline (852) 3122 6899. This payment will be subject to the approval of the Medical Practitioner of our Worldwide Travel Assistance Service taking account of the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If I am hospitalized with COVID-19 overseas and need the assistance of my relatives, will my insurance pay for the travel of my relatives to assist me?
If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and need to be hospitalized for more than 5 consecutive days, we can arrange and pay for round trip flight ticket (economy class only) and hotel accommodation for one of your relatives or other designated person to assist you for a maximum period of 5 consecutive days with maximum rate at HKD1,200 per day. Food and beverage cost and room services fees are excluded. Should you need assistance, please call our 24-hour Worldwide Travel Assistance hotline (852) 3122 6899 for this arrangement.
*This FAQ information is for reference only and applicable to Travel Insurance (Single Trip and Annual Cover). For details of coverage, terms, conditions, and exclusion, please refer to the policy wording.
E. & O.E.