Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance
  • I have an i-Flyer (Annual) insurance policy. Does it cover all my journeys made during the year?
  • My planned travel period is within the period of insurance of my i-Flyer Policy. During the middle of my trip, I wish to extend my travel plan. Will my i-Flyer Policy automatically extend the period of insurance?
  • I planned for a 5-day trip in Singapore and purchased an i-Flyer insurance policy. On the last day of my trip I suffered from serious diarrhea thus I have to stay in Singapore for 2 more days. Will my i-Flyer insurance policy provide coverage?
  • I fell sick while I was travelling but I did not consult a doctor. I only did so when I came back to Hong Kong. Am I covered?
  • I am going on a business trip after which I will stay behind for my personal travelling. Can I only take out travel insurance for my personal travel?
  • I know that riots are taking place in my travel destination but I have to go as planned. Will that affect the coverage of my i-Flyer Policy?
  • When I returned to Hong Kong from a trip, my baggage was delayed. Am I covered under my i-Flyer Policy?
  • What should be my policy inception date for a flight schedule starting at midnight?
  • I will be travelling to Phuket this weekend, but a tsunami has just hit the tourist spot today. I want to cancel my trip. Am I covered?
  • I originally planned to travel from Edinburgh to London then to Hong Kong by air. Unfortunately the volcanic ash had halted the air traffic in Scotland. I chose the road transport instead to travel to London in order to catch the flight to Hong Kong. Can I claim the road transport costs?
  • I originally planned to take a public coach from Taichung to Taipei airport to take a flight back to Hong Kong. Unfortunately the heavy rain and landslide had blocked off the road and my flight had gone. I therefore bought another air ticket to return to Hong Kong. Can I claim the additional air ticket cost?
  • I missed my flight since there was a traffic accident on my way to the airport and the road was congested. Consequently I had to purchase another air ticket to reach my destination. Can I claim back the extra ticket fees?
  • Will I be covered if I got injured by terrorist attack while travelling?
The policy provides cover for unlimited number of journeys made during the insurance period. Each journey does not last more than 90 days. If the journey exceeds 90 days, the whole journey will not be covered under the policy.

If your journey lasts more than 90 days, you are recommended to take out i-Flyer (Single Trip) insurance policy which covers any journey up to 182 consecutive days.
Your i-Flyer Policy will only be automatically extended for reasons stated in the Travel Delay and Trip Rearrangement Section. If you wish to extend your trip for other purposes and also extend the period of insurance, you are advised to contact us before policy expiry to obtain our prior consent. An additional premium may be required to extend your period of insurance under these circumstances.
Yes. i-Flyer Policy will provide coverage. Your coverage under your i-Flyer Policy will be automatically extended for a maximum of 14 days if your trip is delayed due to your serious sickness.

The insurance period of i-Flyer Policy will be automatically extended in the following circumstances:
a) Death,
b) Serious Bodily Injury, or
c) Serious Sickness
of you, or your Immediate Family Members, fiancé / fiancée , or Close Business Partner traveling with you.

As a friendly reminder, such circumstances must be supported by a written confirmation from a legally registered medical practitioner from your traveling country during your claim.
Unfortunately, your medical expenses incurred after your return to Hong Kong are not covered. Under your i-Flyer Policy, we only pay for medical expenses incurred as follow-up treatment in Hong Kong if you have consulted a Legally Registered Medical Practitioner overseas for the same sickness during the insured trip.
I'm afraid not. It is because travel policy only covers journeys which start in Hong Kong. Therefore, if your company has purchased travel insurance for your business trip, it is recommended to extend the period of insurance to cover your personal trip under the same policy. Otherwise, if your company did not purchase travel insurance for your business trip, it is recommended that you buy a travel policy for your whole trip including both the business and personal travel to ensure protection.
It depends on when you take out the travel policy. If riots are known or announced prior to your application for travel insurance, any loss arising from the riots is not covered by the travel insurance as it has become a known incident which is excluded by travel insurance policy but any loss not arising from the riots will be covered as usual.
I'm afraid not. Delayed Baggage protection is only available when your check-in baggage was delayed in your outward journey. The intention of this cover is to assist you when you are deprived of essential supplies when away from home. When you return home, it is expected that you will have easy access to such supplies without assistance.
You're recommended to take out travel insurance a day prior to your midnight flight to ensure your journey from home/office to airport will also be covered.

This is because the coverage of iTravel either commences:
a) when you leave your home or office in Hong Kong for the sole purpose of starting the trip, or ,
b) at the policy inception date

whichever is later.

For example, your flight is scheduled on 00:30 am 10th March. If you take out travel insurance from 10th March and if unfortunately your car crashes during your journey to the airport at 11.30 pm 9th March, then you will not be protected by i-Flyer Policy as the travel insurance policy is only effective on 10th March.
Yes, your unused travel and accommodation expenses that you have already paid or must pay and at the same time you cannot recover them from any other source are covered under Trip Cancellation Benefit if your scheduled journey is delayed more than 24-hour due to tsunami.
Yes, we will reimburse you the additional road transport fares since the ash from the volcano – which is a natural disaster -- has caused the failure of your scheduled flight to get you to your planned destination – London.
Yes, we will reimburse you the additional air ticket expense as the public coach had failed to get you to the Taipei airport due to adverse weather which is one of the specified perils covered in our policy.
Unfortunately you cannot because traffic accident is not our specified peril that we will cover in our travel policy.
Yes. i-Flyer Policy extends to cover death or bodily injury, medical expenses and emergency assistance services in case of terrorist attack while traveling. However, it is noteworthy that we do not cover such acts of terrorism that involve the use of biological, chemical agents or nuclear devices.